- 1876 : L’ABEILLE was originally created by Mr Uzureau to produce lemonade on a small scale. L’Abeille (the “bee” in French) was the name of the mare which Mr. Uzureau did his deliveries with. The cart pulled by this mare was often surrounded by bees, attracted by the lemonade sometimes dripping from the carried bottles.
- 1957 : The company was bought by Mr Résibois. At that time production moved from small-scale to industrial scale and extended its range to other non alcoholic beverages with the development of the soft drinks market in France.
- 1970 : The growth of non alcoholic drinks led Mr Résibois to set up the bottling factory on a bigger site in the south east of Cholet at the current location “rue d’Obernai”.
- 1979 : L’ABEILLE started its partnership with supermarket groups thus selling nationally and set up its quality policy.
- 1985 : L’ABEILLE invested in a production line for PET, the start of a gradual move from glass to plastic bottles.
- 1989 : On the 31st December 1989, the brewer Ann Street, located in Jersey and well established in the Channel Islands owning pubs and beverage sales activities, bought the company from the Résibois family
- 1997 : A production line for small size bottles ( 50 cl and 33 cl PET) was set up.
- 1998 : Warehouse facilities were extended and the blowing capacity of PET bottles doubled.
- 2002 : In August 2002, Ann Street merged with another group from Jersey to form the CIT group (Channel Islands Traders).
- 2006 : L’ABEILLE set up a pasteurizer in order to extend its ability to create and produce.
- 2007 : In August 2007, the Sandpiper group took over CIT so becoming the owner of L’ABEILLE.
L’ABEILLE obtained IFS certification in October 2007.
- 2009 : In September 2009, LSDH group and l'Abeille's management agreed to buy out the company.
- 2011 : L'Abeille implements the first aseptic bottling line in Europe able to produce carbonated high fruit juice content beverages without preservatives.
Over the years L’ABEILLE has been able to diversify its product range and customer base, doubling its activity during the last 10 years.
- Turnover : €50 million
- Volume : 166 million bottles / year
- Employees : 138